We are committed to respecting and protecting your privacy.
We reserve the right to modify or amend this policy at any time and for any reason. Any material changes to this policy will be posted prior to their implementation.
What we do
The Bendigo Animal Relief Centre (BARC) provides feed, shelter and medical treatment to animals who have become lost, seized or surrendered. BARC has a variety of cats and dogs available for adoption which are microchipped, wormed, desexed and vaccinated. BARC’s mission is to create a safe and caring temporary home for your lost or new best friend.
What is personal information?
In Victoria, the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic) (Privacy Act) defines personal information as information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database), that is recorded in any form and whether true or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion. What information we collect In order to carry out our functions we may collect and hold certain personal information. We will only collect personal information when it is necessary to do so.
We may collect personal information from you in the following way:
- communicating with one of our representatives;
- through your use of our website;
- when you complete a form, application or purchase order; or
- when obliged by law.
The personal information we collect may include the following:
- email address;
- phone number;
- any other contact details you may wish to provide;
- date of birth;
- any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our websites or indirectly through use of our websites or online presence, through our representatives or otherwise;
- information you provide to us through customer surveys or online contacts.
If you use our website only to browse our services we will not collect or hold any of your personal information.
If you do not provide us with personal information
If you do not provide us with the personal information we reasonably request, we may be unable to provide you with the information, services or support that you are seeking.
How we use your personal information
We handle all personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act.
We may collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information in relation to the following purposes:
- animal adoption and foster care;
- animal intake and care in our shelters;
- community engagement and communications;
- education, advocacy and public campaigns;
- public complaint and inquiry response and referral;
- fundraising, events, donations and memberships;
- legacies and bequests;
- retail sales and marketing;
- bequest animal and respite programs;
- and ancillary purposes, or as otherwise permitted by law.
Disclosure of your personal information
We take all necessary measures to prevent unauthorised access to or disclosure of your personal information. We will not sell your details to another company, nor will we add your details to a mailing list without your consent. We may disclose your personal information to:
- our employees, contractors or service providers for the purposes of operation of our supporter and customer services, and to otherwise provide information, products and services to you including, without limitation, web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, and professional advisors such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants;
- suppliers and other third parties with whom we have commercial relationships, where this is necessary to provide you with a service or product;
- other agencies or authorities with your consent or as authorised by law.
How is your personal information stored and protected?
We have systems and procedures in place to protect any personal information collected from misuse and loss, as well as from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. These steps include:
- only authorised personnel have access to personal information;
- our premises have secure access; and
- storage and data systems and protections are regularly updated and audited.
How can you contact us regarding privacy matters?
If you believe we have breached our privacy obligations or wish to discuss the collection of, and access to, your personal information you can call us on (03) 5441 2209 or contact us via email [email protected].